Skip to main content

35: Narada: Part 6 - The Circle of Life


After they had finished eating the rice kheer, Narada continued with the story of how he learnt about Maya.

"You know we have very little time now" Brahma reminded Narada.

"Yes, I do. I am almost ready. Would you like to hear about how Vishnu explained Maya to me?"

"Yes, go on" Brahma said.

So Narada began -

"This happened in the time of Dwapara. Vishnu had taken the avatar of Krishna and slain the arrogant Kamsa. I was visiting him to get an update about the kingdoms in Bharatvarsha, and also to share with him observations from my wanderings. We got talking and the Lord asked me to take a stroll with him."

"While we were crossing the desert near Dwaraka, I turned to the Lord and asked "O Greatest Lord, what is the secret of this life and the appearances of this world? You claim everything to be maya, illusion. It sounds virtually impossible. I can touch a tree. I can grab your arm. A mosquito stings me. I feel these things. How can all this be an illusion?"

The Lord smiled and made no reply. We continued for a while, and then Vishnu finally said "Narada, the sun is scroching here, I am thirsty. I can't walk any further. Ahead you will find a village. Can you go there and fetch me a cup of water?"

I set off. Arriving at the village I approached the first house. To my greatest disbelief I saw the most beautiful maiden in the yard. The moment I looked into her eyes, I was mesmerized. I forgot all about the Lord's wish and the reason of my being there in the village".

The woman ushered me into the house, where I was warmly welcomed by her family. They requested me to eat supper with them, and then stay for the night. Smitten by the maiden's beauty, I stayed on enjoying the family's warm hospitality, and secretly marveling at the young woman's loveliness.

A week went by, then two. I stayed on, and on, and soon became part of their household. I even began to share in the household chores.

After the appropriate amount of time passed, I asked for the girl's hand in marriage. The family has been expecting nothing less, and so everyone was overjoyed.

We married and settled down in her family's house, where she soon bears me three children, two sons and a daughter. Years passed with bliss. I had completely forgotten about my original chore.

Eventually my wife's parents passed away. I took over as head of the household. I opened a small shop in the village and due to my glib storytelling and warmth, it prospered. Before long I was an honoured citizen of the community and a prominent member of the town council. Giving myself up to the age-old joys and sorrows of village life, I lived contentedly for many years.

Then one evening during the monsoon season a violent storm breaks over head, and the river rises
so high from the sudden rains that the village begins to flood. I gather my family and lead them through the dark night toward higher ground. But the winds blow so violently and the rain pelts down with such force that one of my sons is washed away."

"I reach for the boy, but ... in so doing, I let go of my second son!"

Here Narada's voice becomes heavy with emotion. He is almost living the experience again. After a while he continues.

"A moment later a gales wind tore my daughter from my arms. Then my beloved wife is washed away into the roaring darkness. I wail helplessly and claws at the sky. But my cries are drowned by a towering wave that rises from the depths of the terrible night and washes me headlong into the river. All goes black."

" Many hours pass; perhaps days. Slowly, painfully, I come to my senses, only to discover that I have been washed onto a sandbank far down the river. It is daytime now, and the storm has passed."

"But there is no sign of my family anywhere, nor, for that matter, of any living creature."

"For a long time I remain lying on the sand, almost mad with sorrow and abandonment. Bits of wreckage float past me in the river. The smell of death is on the wind."

"Everything has been taken from me now; All things life-giving and precious have disappeared into the swirling waters. There is little to do, it seems, but weep."

"Then, suddenly, I hear a deep voice behind me that makes the blood stop in my veins."

"Child," the voice asks, "where is my glass of water?"

I suddenly realize that all these years was nothing but illusion. It made me forget my real purpose.
I turn and see Krishna standing at his side, smiling mischivously. The river vanishes, and once again I and the Lord are alone in the empty desert.

"Where is my water?" Krishna asks again. "I have been waiting for you to bring it now for alomost half an hour now."

I threw myself at the Lord's feet, tears in my eyes, and yet with a smile on my face.
"O Master, I forgot! ... Forgive me. I forgot what you asked for!"

The Lord smiled and said,
"Now do you understand the secret behind your life, and the appearances of this world?"

Narada smiled as he finished his story, and turned to Brahma.
"... And that is how the Lord explained Maya to me. I have been teaching this to the mankind since then. I told this story to Dharmaraja Yudhishthir when he was in exile."

Brahma cleared his throat. "Yes, indeed. But that is not why you should renounce married life. Why did you need to wander from place to place and not have a house and a family?"

"O Father, that is not going to happen, you know."

"But why? I do not understand. What was the need to live like a mendicant? You could have stayed with us, you know."

" Oh Father! But you know the answer to this question. I seek my destiny. I seek to understand Life and the welfare of the people, and I wish to spread my knowledge to all. I wish to give counsel to those in need. Even at this time of the Kalpa, when the Kali is at its strongest, there are individuals on the Earth who are pious and worthy of our counsel."

"I know, I know" ... Brahma said, getting up, " but you know why I have come now, don't you?"

"Yes, I do. I know the time is up, and my work here is done. It is time for me to come with you. The end of the Kaalchakra is fast approaching, and we are to merge with the Eternal Vishnu along with everything else. It is the time of Pralaya, and from which a new beginning will be sought. I am indeed looking forward to this, Father."

He gets up.
"Father, just let me get my Taanpura, and let us haste towards Vaikuntha."


- Regards,
Shreekant
07 May 2009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Story of Banasur

Vanasur (Banasur) - The Eldest Son of Bali
----------------------------------------------------------

In the last December, we were on a road trip in Kumaon, Uttarakhand. After spending 2 days in the regions around Saat taal, Mukteshwar etc., we decided to move further up towards Champawat region and go to a less-known hill station called Abbot Mount, near Lohaghat.

This ancient region has historical and mythological importance. Champawat, once the capital of the rulers of the Chand dynasty, is famous for its natural beauty and well known temples. It is also believed that it was in Champawat that Lord Vishnu appeared as 'Kurma avtar', His incarnation as a tortoise. The River Lohawati originates near this place. Lohagarh and the nearby Tanakpur are huge marketplaces, especially of woolen clothes today.

While we were traveling from Bhowali, having crossed many mountain trails and having seen the Himalayan mountain ranges filled to our heart's desire, we came to a place called Ka…

46 Samanta-panchaka

Recently, I was studying about the Third War of Panipat (1761) for some reason, in which the Maratha forces led by Sadashiv Bhau - Balaji Bajirao 'Nanasahab' Peshwa's cousin brother - and the Rohilla Afghan forces of Ahmed Shah Abdali fought a decisive battle to the worse of Marathas. This battle is considered to be one of the largest fought in the 18th century, and also perhaps had the largest number of casualties in a single (half) day of the battle - leading to a loss of almost 100,000 human lives.

Personally, the battle has a lot of historical interest to me, as the course of Maratha history as well as the history of my country took a different turn on that fateful day. Among various reasons that historians attribute to the loss of Maratha side in this war - a much smaller force compared to the enemy and yet not following the Guerrilla tactics but meeting the enemy head-on, slow-moving camps carrying not only soldiers but also civilians, lack of a proper strategy thro…

36: Upamanyu

Note: This is not written by me, but my father. He wrote this wonderful story in a mail to me. So here's to you, Baba.

- Shreekant
03 August 2009

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Why I am curious about Upamanyu? Coz our 'Gotra' is Upamanyu.

Who was Upamanyu? What was his significance?

We have to reach Tamil Nadu - Chidambaram.

The story begins in the lush green thick jungle of Thillaivanam, the place where there is 'Swayambhu' Linga. Whoever has a 'darshan' of this Linga, gets everything he desires. (Rightful & more on the spiritual side).

This is the very place (and the nearby area) where Lord Nataraja arrived and gave two extra-ordinary gifts to the mankind - Music & Dance.

A great sage named Madyanthinar, related to sage Vashishta, had a brilliant son, named Madyanthinar Jr. These sages were living in a small town (probably a part of Chidambaram) and away fro…